I celebrate the beginning of summer, and I celebrate the end of it. I am a mom who has four emphatic and effervescent children i.e. loud and bubbly, and summers feel intense. The first week of summer I had the schedule ready to go. On the days we were home, not engaging in outrageous summer festivities, the kids were to make sure and complete a page form their workbook, work on spelling words that were given at the beginning of the week, create art, read thirty minutes, and make sure they kept up with their chores. Yesterday, they watched TV pretty much all day as we slowly tackled the mess left by returning from vacation. We are kind of doing the same thing today…hold on…okay, now someone is working on math. Mommy guilt assuaged. 😉 Anyway, things don’t always go the way we planned, goals sometimes die in disaster, and life has no pretty little bow wrapped upon it unless…unless we decide it does.
There are those who look at life as something to survive, those that see it as something to conquer, and those that see it as a gift.
Each morning we get the chance to decide how we are going to look at this day, this moment. Can we give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus? Or do we let grumbling, complaining, and corrupting talk erupt from our mouth and eradicate all the good gifts that become visible with a slight shift of focus?
Today, I look at life as a gift. I make no promises about tomorrow, because let’s face it, I am a work in progress. I am joining with #WholeMama, in David Letterman style, and making a top ten list to celebrate the gifts of summer.
10. Sunscreen has kept my almost clear, pasty children their normal glowing selves. #SPF
9. Vacation rocked. #CALIFORNIA
8. We haven’t been in school for a while, thus, my kids have had a significant run of no colds, flues, or other infectious vexations. #SUMMERTRUMPSVITAMINC
7. No broken bones, but plenty of bruises and scrapes that were totally worth it. #PLAYHARDPRAYHARD.
6. The kid who, after being potty trained for months, started peeing wherever he darn well pleased has remembered where the toilet is. #BETTERNOTFORGETAGAIN
5. You guys, I got to preach from a pirate ship. #EPIC
4. I have been greatly encouraged by some hilarious, prophetic, and talented mothers these past few months. Love bombs and link ups have brightened my days. #WHOLEMAMA
3. My oldest is learning to cook, and is consistently asking if she can be the one to make lunch. #THISISAMAZING
2. My husband offers mercy for summer exhaustion and has not lost his mind when walking into the house where summer days are lived out. #DONTSTEPONTHATLEGO
1. By the grace of God, we all still love each other, happy memories have been built, and we are all excited for what lies ahead. #BRINGIT